Being creatures with blind spots and tendencies toward rationalization, we must also be in close touch with a few trustworthy individuals with whom we meet on a regular basis. Knowing that such an encounter is going to happen helps us hold the line morally and ethically. I know of nothing more effective for maintaining a pure heart and keeping one’s life balanced and on target than being a part of an accountability group. It is amazing what such a group can provide to help us hold our passions on check!
Recently, I was encouraged to hear about a minister who meets once a week with a small group of men. They are committed to one another’s purity. They pray with and for each other. They talk openly and honestly about their struggles, weaknesses, temptations, and trials. In addition to these general things they look one another in the eye and answer no less than 8 specific questions:
1. Have you been with a woman (or man) this week in such a way that was inappropriate or could have looked to others that you were using poor judgment?
2. Have you been completely above board in your financial dealings this week?
- Are you honoring God with your money?
- Tithing regularly?
- Getting out of debt?
3. Have you purposely exposed yourself to any explicit material (pornographic and/or sexually suggestive material) this week?
- Have you held on to or fostered any impure thoughts?
4. Have you spent daily time in prayer and in God’s Word this week?
- Where is the Bible you are reading?
- When do you have your time with God?
- Do you keep a prayer list?
5. Have you fulfilled the mandate of your calling? In other words, have you fulfilled the responsibilities God has called you to as a member of His body and witness to the world?
- How is your service for Christ going?
- Have you done your part of fulfilling the Great Commission by sharing how to become a Christian with someone or discipling other believers?
6. Have you taken time off to be with your family this week?
- What have you done to show your wife she is cherished?
- What have you done to show your kids they are special and unconditionally loved?
7. Is there anyone you need to ask for forgiveness from or anyone to forgive?
8. Have you just lied to us?