Friday, February 16, 2007

The Saddest Thing I Ever Heard…

In a recent online interview with America Online utilizing Instant Messenger, actress Eva Mendes was asked about her character in the upcoming movie “Ghost Rider.” During the interview we see a moment of brutal honesty about the reality of her world. The following from Eva (writing under the user ID RoxieLovesBlaze and complete with typos) just broke my heart:

MoviefoneKevin: that's cool. did you check out the comic books at all?

RoxieLovesBlaze: yes! comic book roxie looks different than i do, and i just hope that die hard fans embrace me in this role. also, i love the idea of selling ur soul to the devil since i work in hollywood and i sell my soul a little every day.........

At first I thought this was just another victim of the Hollywood lifestyle. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized Jesus came in contact with people just like Eva two thousand years ago.

Jesus addressed the crowd in Mark 8:36-37 and asked “For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul? What will a man give in exchange for his soul?”

It appears that Eva has answered “a career in the limelight.”

Such a fleeting, temporal endeavor in exchange for the most precious of all gifts. My heart breaks when I think of the day when Eva comes face to face with the reality of Luke 12:20 where Jesus says:

"But God said to him, 'You fool! This very night your soul is required of you; and now who will own what you have prepared?'

No comments: