Thursday, March 02, 2006

Greetings From Singapore

You may have noticed that I haven’t posted in a while. Well that’s because I’ve been in Singapore the past few days. I’m in Singapore as part of a 3 country trip to work in various ministry contexts. I had a break in my work and thought I’d take a minute to give you some of my initial impressions of the city.

Singapore is very clean and very disciplined, which is what you’d imagine from the wealthiest (per capita) nation in Asia. Being about 1 degree above the equator means its hot and humid but most places have air conditioning inside. Singapore has a unique blend of urban setting and lush tropical greenery.

The country is mostly Chinese, Malay and Indian. (The country even has both a Chinatown and Little India). As such, Singapore is a strategic location for nationals to reach those in places like China and other restricted countries, that Westerners either don’t have access to or won’t have the same success as a national.

So, because of that, right now I’m working with about 80 different pastors who represent 25 people groups. Some of them work with local congregations while others work in a missions capacity. So far the only real obstacle was getting stuck in an elevator but the week is still young. I’d greatly appreciate your prayers and will try to post some pictures soon.

No comments: